Designing homes in Steamboat Springs is a full time, year round job. A lot of our clients are either new to town or second homeowners who visit Steamboat during the ski season and again in the summer. We feel lucky to live in a community that celebrates the summer season as much, if not more than the winter months. In the summer, there is only so much time to squeeze in all of the incredible activities and events going on right here in Steamboat Springs, CO.
You’ve seen our jam packed Chamber Calendar and you’ve read plenty of lists titled “What to do in Steamboat Springs” but you still can’t decide on an activity for the weekend. Maybe there are too many choices, yes it's possible. As designers, it’s our job to hone in on the best options and ensure you're well equipped to make a selection. Here you have it, a “to-do” list designed just for you - so that you maximize your time here and enjoy what we feel is the best of summertime in Steamboat.
Arts & Entertainment
At Rumor we are advocates of arts & culture, we appreciate all of the diversity these events and performances bring to our community.
When such events are set on a stage combined with the natural beauty of our outdoors, the level of enjoyment is amplified. Here is our top list of things to do for Arts & Entertainment:
Free Summer Concert Series – this gem is on the top of our list for things to do in Steamboat, period. On concert days, we close the studio early and head over with the whole team. The series brings in nationally recognized artists to Howelsen Hill Amphitheater and crowds of local families lay out blankets and camp chairs to relax and enjoy the music.
Movies on the Mountain – another fun, free event at the base of the mountain. Enjoy family friendly movies and snuggle up with your own picnic for a great date night.
Music on the Green - this free concert series is held every Thursday from mid-June through mid-August. The concerts start at 12:15 p.m. and are about 45 minutes. Pack a lunch, bring a blanket and enjoy the Colorado sunshine.
Balloon Rodeo & Glow – held in early July each summer, this weekend event is a must see. The vibrant hot air balloons against the summer skies during the day or night events create an incredible photography opportunity and memorable visual.
Festivals & Events
There is a festival or event going on almost every weekend for every type of interest. From the Mustang Rally to the Rodeo, you’d need to be in five places at once to do it all. We’ve come up with a list by month and selected our favorite events throguh the summer below:
- is the best way to kick off summer. Run alongside the roaring Elk River through the emerald green pastures on Country Road 129 with the snow-capped Rocky Mountains of Colorado all around and find out why the Steamboat Marathon was ranked as one of the “Top 10 Destination Marathons in North America.”
- is a designer favorite of course. This is a self-guided tour inside Steamboat’s loveliest kitchens and gardens. Presented by String Music Festival where you'll start your morning with live music and a continental breakfast before heading to homes around Steamboat. VIP tickets include transportation with a Master Gardener, door-to-door service and a gourmet luncheon.
– not your average wine tasting festival, this annual event breaks off into many activities throughout the day. Choose from events that incorporate the Steamboat outdoors such as hiking and biking, as well as painting, farm to table pairings, and much more.
- is an annual event in Steamboat that sells out within minutes of going online. An esteemed slate of authors and book lovers from all over the country gather for a presentation by award-winning writers who share the stories and inspiration behind their exceptional books held at String Music Festival.
Shopping & Drinking
These things go hand in hand, don’t they? Both can be relaxing or exhilerating and the design team certainly appreciates a good sale and happy hour. This list combines the best of shopping and drinking options.
– we love strolling the market each week for fresh produce and handcrafted goods. The market runs each Saturday from 9am-2pm from June through September.
This is a great place to stop for morning coffee and a pastry, or lunch and live music.
– after a day of shopping, take a relaxing ride up the gondola to incredible sunset views from Thunderhead Lodge. Bring your season ski pass and you ride for free, otherwise $15. This weekly event is held mid-July through September, featuring live music and sunset selfie moments.
– a weekend filled with unique vendors and artists from the surrounding areas who showcase their artwork, sculptures and other handicrafts. This is a great shopping event to source artwork for your Steamboat home.
– Check out a couple of our favorite breweries for our recommended brews:
o Butcherknife – Rob’s Blond or Buzzcock
o Storm Peak – Mad Creek or JOON Kombucha brewed in Fort Collins
o Mountain Tap – Passion Pedal or Mountain Macaroon
Relaxing Activities on the Water
We may not be located oceanside, but the surrounding river, lakes and hot springs could be considered comparable in our minds. There are plenty of activities to do on or near the water.
Yampa River Botanic Park
- had to fit on our list somewhere! This relaxing waterside activity is free and open to the public from sunrise to sunset. Stroll the gardens and find a patch of shade to share a picnic.
For more information about Yampa River Botanic Park, visit their website: www.yampariverbotanicpark.com
– relax on a mostly lazy river cruise through town in the comfort of an inflatable tube, available to rent and includes a shuttle service.
This is one of our favorite summertime activities to cool off and spend time with friends.
For more information on tube rentals - visit the Backdoor Sports website: www.backdoorsports.com
Hiking & Biking
We enjoy an early morning hike with our four-legged friends and then hit the trails on two wheels. Electric, Mountain or Road Bike – there are so many ways to enjoy the surrounding hiking and biking trails.
Points of Interest and Activities Accessible from the Trail
Fish Creek Falls – a gorgeous destination to view the falls or hike even further to Long Lake, about a 13 mile trek round-trip.
Spring Creek – an easy trail for hikers and bikers with generous patches of shade and well maintained terrain.
Steamboat Bike Park – offers a variety of experience levels from easy to extreme with the option to downhill only after loading the gondola. Hikers enjoy the feat of climbing to Thunderhead or Four Points, 9.716 ft. above sea level. Bring lots of water for yourself and your pup.
Emerald Mountain – a great trail to hike with the pups, or bike on trails ranging from easy to difficult.
Other Mentionable to-do’s:
– this venue was built in 1926 and is continues to entertain the community from locally organized performances, to outsourced musicians and entertainers from around the country.
Rumor Designs is a proud supporter of The Chief Theater and our lead designer Valerie also serves on the board for this non-profit organization.
The Rumor Team also performed last winter at the Annual Lip Sync/Air Band Fundraiser.
For Information about the Chief Theater and Events Schedule, visit their website: www.chieftheater.com
- presents performances of classical music, jazz, rock, country, bluegrass, world rhythms and many other genres every summer providing the perfect date night outing.
Rumor Designs is a proud supporter of Strings Music Festival, find us in the annual program.
– held during the same weekend as Wine Fest, this is transformative four-day experience of Consciously Connecting through movement, music, and the great outdoors, while showcasing Steamboat’s talented community of movement teachers, speakers, musicians, and artists.
– held during the first week of June, this event promises a fun-filled weekend for the whole family. The weekend kicks off with the Fish Creek race Friday evening. Saturday events are at Charlie's Hole at 13th Street with downriver races, freestyle competitions, the SUP Cup, crazy river dog contest, tubing and raft races and more. A slalom race wraps up the weekend on Sunday.
We hope you are able to utilize this curated list of activities that should keep you busy for the entire summer. Let us know if we missed your favorite or you've found a new gem not mentioned here. Thanks for reading and sharing!